FOR QUICK ESTIMATE
The process of moving is often under estimated. As a result of our experience and customer feedback, we have created this pre-move checklist to assist you to plan the perfect move.
Notify Your Change of Address
1. The post office for redirection of mail
2. Your bank (to transfer your account)
3. The electoral registrar
4. Hire purchase company
5. Your insurance company to transfer your cover on house, contents and motor vehicles
6. Your life insurance company
7. Your health insurance company
8. Obtain your children’s school records
9. Stores – where you have charge accounts
10. Relatives, friends and regular correspondents
11. Club Memberships
12. Publications to which you subscribe
13. Has your doctor or dentist recommended someone in the location to which you are moving
14. Your solicitors and accountants
15. Your church
16. Credit card companies
17. Airline frequent flyer programmes
18. Cleaners and gardeners
1. Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
2. Use wardrobe boxes to make closets easier to pack. Clothes in drawers can be placed in suitcases.
3. Use only small boxes for books. They get very heavy, very fast.
4. Never use printed newsprint to wrap fine china.
5. Always stack dishes upwards when packing.
6. Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible including: children’s health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
7. Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
8. Don’t use used boxes. You don't know if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
9. Never use duct tape – use packing tape.
10. Clearly label all boxes on top and side.
11. As you take apart furniture and other items make sure to tape all parts to the main base.
12. Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos in their original boxes. Otherwise use bubble wrap when packing these items.
13. Start packing items you will not need ahead of time.
14. Always pack and unpack breakables over a padded surface.
15. Always tape boxes. Don’t interlock the tops.
16. Don’t use boxes without tops. No tops make it impossible to stack properly in the truck.
17. Use custom-designed boxes when packing fine china and clothing.